Sunday, July 4, 2010

What if there were only lovey swords?

This morning we were sitting on the couch, and Tristen asked me who would take care of him if I died before he grew up. I told him I planned to take care of him for a long, long time, but if something unexpected did happen, his daddy would take good care of him.

Then he asked what would happen if we both died. I reassured him that there is no shortage of people who could take care of him -- and we listed them all by name. He seemed satisfied, raised his hands and shoulders, and said, "Yeah; apparently we ALL die sometime."

Apparently?

Then, as if all this talk of mortality made Tristen consider his own role in killing, he said, "If I had a real sword, I would just leave people alone. I would not kill them." I said I thought that was a good idea.

He was quiet for a moment.

"Mom?"

"Yeah?

"What if there was only lovey swords?"




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

isn't it amazing when they start thinking these thoughts? my dad once told me "children are the messages we send off into a future we'll never see" and that is so true... you're sending a wonderful little person off into the future :-)

Anonymous said...

by the way that was from lori c, not anonymous :-)

Anonymous said...

i love their deep thoughts. even hard and scary ones.