Saturday, March 20, 2010

The birdbath project

I'm not even that big a bird lover. But I saw a birdbath made of recovered Goodwill crystal at the Flower and Garden show in Seattle recently. It seemed like an art project I could succeed at.

Now I may be addicted.

Check out the finished baths below. They're made of various chip bowls, fruit bowls, candy dishes, deviled egg plates, and vases. I procured the glass in exactly two Goodwill trips -- and used every piece. Chris and I used epoxy to bond them together.

I may yet add some silicone caulk. A few of them are getting moisture buildup on rainy days, and I'm worried they'll eventually grow mold or something.

Other details: I was a little sad that, after a few days in the sun, the epoxy yellowed just a bit. It's only noticeable when you're up really close, but in the future, I may be more conservative with the epoxy. Also, I added an extra plate, right side up, to the bottom of a few of them, just on a hunch. I now believe that the bottom plate will be nearly essential for installation.

Would it be wrong to put one in the living room?




2 comments:

RossVix said...

Oooh. I am very impressed. What an artistic soul you are. :0)

I still have the garden tile made artfully by you from our broken wine goblet.

The only thing I ever glued with epoxy was my thumb and my index finger. It wasn't pretty...

Love and miss you sister!

Sharon said...

Those are amazing! You found some neat pieces to make them from. Some are deep enough that you could add high diving boards on them ;-)