Sunday, December 27, 2009

Terrariums

Some days being a mom can be really annoying. Take terrarium-building day...

I had gone around gathering all the necessary ingredients: containers from Goodwill, aquarium rocks and charcoal from the fish store, potting soil from Ace... Then I could BARELY get Tristen to gather moss from the backyard with me. And he only stayed interested in terrarium assembly long enough to spill rocks and dirt all over the place. I ended up in the kitchen like the little red hen, doing everything all by myself -- especially the clean up! I felt so annoyed and under-appreciated, even though I know better than to expect gratitude from a three-year-old.

Now we have terrariums all over the house. The moss is thriving, and each container is sprouting little fiddle-head ferns (I had tried to throw some fern fronds in each one, hoping the spores would germinate). Almost makes that day worth it.





1 comment:

Kerch said...

Quit your complaining! Don't you know how lucky you are that you can just gather so much moss from your own yard? What I wouldn't give for a moist and mild climate like Seattle's, I tell ya'! Besides, you probably think that Tristen didn't appreciate it, but I'll bet you that when he's 10 or so, one day out of the blue he'll hit you with a "Mom, do you remember when we put together terrariums with moss from our yard? That was so cool!" That's the kind of stunts those little $%#*'s pull! Love you!